Wilderness pretty well describes where I am. I bought Knuth's "Sorting and
Searching" something like 25 years ago, when I was working on KFAM, and
never really understood what he was saying. This has been most helpful,
though I obviously remain in kindergarten.

Though it does appear we progressed beyond the index file addressing a
"separate" flat file. I guess the nice part of that system was one could
read the data in the flat file, even after pointers became corrupt, AND if
the data was clean re-index it with a utility. I sometimes wish I had spent
that programming time on MUMPS, however, $15,000 for a compiler in 1978 $
was a great leap.

Thanks for the lesson,

thurman