Nancy,

Take a look, also, at a quick summary of debugging
commands I compiled for GTM here:

http://openforum.worldvista.org/~forum/index.php?title=Debugging_with_GT.M

It doesn't answer your qestion about dumping the stack
(I can't remember how to do that either right now),
but it gives other helpful tips.

Kevin

--- Nancy Anthracite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Frankly, I am very glad I asked this question
> because it is revealing of more
> than just my ignorance.
>
> How do you dump the stack? And the error trap your
> refer to is the one seen in
> D ^XTER?
>
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:23 am, Greg Woodhouse
> wrote:
> > FWIW, I think you (Nancy) did a pretty good job of
> picking up on the
> > relevant details. It might be useful to think of
> it this way: Kernel
> > keeps track of session specific state (such as
> characteristics of the
> > current output device) using various standard
> variables in the process
> > symbol table. Particularly "famous" variables
> include DUZ (who's signed
> > in) and the IO* variables. In this case, the issue
> with IOSL was
> > secondary (having to do with checking to see if
> the error message will
> > fit on the current screen/page). A good technique
> (if the error is
> > logged in the error trap) is to look at the stack
> dump, so that you can
> > trace your way back to the ultimate source of the
> trouble.

> for future reference.
> > >
> > > Am I on the

> more about IOSL?

> routine DDSU.m.   the
> > >
> > > line with

> 149-159 and there were no
> > >
> > > line wraps

> seems that WR+32 is
> > >
> > > probably

> as 1, correct?
> > >
> > > Nancy, WR+32 is the line 32 lines later than WR.
> (WR counts as WR+0)
> > > to see the line directly, you can just type:
> > > MUMPS> WRITE $TEXT(WR+32^DDSU),!
> > >  . X DDSID
> > >
> > > which explains the headache, since it is an
> Xecute command on the
> > > local
> > > variable DDSID (which gets changed at run-time).
>   As you can see in
> > > your
> > > code fragment below, the variable IOSL
> (Input-Output-Screen-Length)
> > > is
> > > only referenced on line WR+31 if the variable
> DDS is defined, either
> > > with
> > > sub-nodes, or a value itself. $D(DDS)= 1 , 10 or
> 11 (Self,
> > > SubnodesOnly,
> > > Self+Subnodes)
> > >
> > > This kind of problem is hard to debug, since it
> depends on the
> > > late-bound
> > > value of a variable.  Usually, the only way to
> find out the problem
> > > is to
> > > use the ZWRITE DDSID command immediately after
> [...]
^DD(200.07475,.01,0)="CERTIFICATION^MP747.9'^QA(747.9,^0;1^Q"

> FILE ATTRIBUTES
> FILE
> > > >
>     MAY
> > >
> > > 25,[EMAIL PROTECTED]:04:05  PAGE