> Well, I tend to shy away from freebies because of the support issues.

This has no place in a serious discussion of issues.  Support?  From
Microsoft?  When Seimans know they have have you by the gonads and
you've signed an exclusive contract with them for a healthcare system,
when do you expect to get support.

In fact, all the companies and moving to the Free Software model of
support (as opposed to the no support they used to have) which is an
open technological discussion group with their engineers and advanced
users.

But why would I want to spend my time and energy becoming an expert in a
closed single sourced products with no guarantees, when you just know in
a year or two down the road, the whole thing will be a complete waste
when "big Monopoly Company: Insert your favorite one here like Sun" will
intentionally obstruct development and support within a few short months
in order to push their next wonderful slaveware solution of the week.

I can write a ***books*** on Foxpro 2.5, Paradox, Borland Pascal, a
dozen other useless dead end technologies.  I'm getting too old and have
no more time to waste learning any product which won't cooperate by
giving me full possession of the code base.  Support be damn.  When I
was in the army, I learned that support was one soldier with a loaded
M16.  Your the first and last line of defense for support.  You must
understand what your working with, and you must be prepared to roll up
your sleeves in order to get the job done when things go wrong.  Every
Eula I've read says in plain English,  "Company XYZ is not responsible
for the results of using their software"

If your big enough and sitting near a seat of government power, you can
often squeeze more, but that is not going to help the thousands health
care facilities which which are our target audiences, nor will it help
us in development of a sane product,

Ruben