Kevin said:

> Hey all,

> And when I have a field for the author (which is a
> pointer to file 200, it displays the author's name.
> But when I have a field for the transcriptionist
> (ENTERED BY field), which is also a pointer to file
> 200, it just displays their initials.
>
> So how do I adjust the format of a field's value?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

You adjust it using an OUTPUT TRANSFORM.
As you recall, this is exactly the same field you had used earlier when
using FileMan SEARCH and getting unexpected results.
Looking at that field:

Select OPTION: DATA DICTIONARY UTILITIES
Select DATA DICTIONARY UTILITY OPTION: LIST FILE ATTRIBUTES
 START WITH WHAT FILE: TIU DOCUMENT//
      GO TO WHAT FILE: TIU DOCUMENT//
      Select SUB-FILE:
Select LISTING FORMAT: STANDARD//
Start with field: FIRST// 1302  ENTERED BY
Go to field: 1302  ENTERED BY
DEVICE:   TELNET
STANDARD DATA DICTIONARY #8925 -- TIU DOCUMENT FILE JUN 13,[EMAIL
PROTECTED]:39:51 PAGE 1
STORED IN ^TIU(8925,  *** NO DATA STORED YET ***   SITE: OPENVISTA DEMO
UCI: VAH,ROU                                                         (VERSION
1.0)

DATA          NAME                  GLOBAL        DATA
ELEMENT       TITLE                 LOCATION      TYPE

8925,1302     ENTERED BY             13;2 POINTER TO NEW PERSON FILE (#200)

              OUTPUT TRANSFORM: S
Y=$S(+$G(TIUINI):$$LOWER^TIULS($P($G(^VA(200,+Y(0),0)),U,2)),1:$P($G(^VA(200,+Y(0),0)),U,2))
              LAST EDITED:      JUN 17, 1997
              HELP-PROMPT:      This is the person who entered the document
                                into the computer.
              CROSS-REFERENCE:  8925^TC
                                1)= S ^TIU(8925,"TC",$E(X,1,30),DA)=""
                                2)= K ^TIU(8925,"TC",$E(X,1,30),DA)

You see here on the first page that it mentions the OUTPUT TRANSFORM and
gives you the code to present the Abbreviation for the NEW PERSON
referenced.

This is originally done (and edited later) through the FileMan UTILITY option:

MUMPS>D P^DI

VA FileMan 22.0

Select OPTION:    UTILITY FUNCTIONS
Select UTILITY OPTION: ?
 Answer with UTILITY OPTION NUMBER, or NAME
 Do you want the entire 11-Entry UTILITY OPTION List? Y  (Yes)
   Choose from:
   1            VERIFY FIELDS
   2            CROSS-REFERENCE A FIELD OR FILE
   3            IDENTIFIER
   4            RE-INDEX FILE
   5            INPUT TRANSFORM (SYNTAX)
   6            EDIT FILE
   7            OUTPUT TRANSFORM
   8            TEMPLATE EDIT
   9            UNEDITABLE DATA
   10           MANDATORY/REQUIRED FIELD CHECK
   11           KEY DEFINITION

Select UTILITY OPTION: OUTPUT TRANSFORM

MODIFY WHAT FILE: TIU DOCUMENT//
Select FIELD: 1302  ENTERED BY
ENTERED BY OUTPUT TRANSFORM: S Y=$S(+$G(TIUINI):$$LOWER^TIULS($P($G(^VA(200,+Y(0
),0)),U,2)),1:$P($G(^VA(200,+Y(0),0)),U,2))  Replace

Select UTILITY OPTION: