My comments come as a trained human engineer and 'tool maker'.

1. People called upon to do 'work' do not usually have an opportunity to
love their work and to love the tools with which they must work.  Some of us
are fortunate enough to have the discretion of choosing our work and the
implements that we need to do that.  Even so, "hating" an implement of work
does not necessarily reflect the effectiveness, or efficiency, or quality of
productivity of that tool for its intended purpose.

2. The "roll and scroll" software tools are in certain specific cases
substantially superior to all other alternatives.  When users of that type
of tool design express 'hatred' for "roll and scroll" (R&S") it may be that
that design choice was not appropriate for the task at hand.  If a system
chooses to use R&S exclusively, as did DHCP, then one should expect to find
that R&S is used wrongly in many cases in such a large system as DHCP.  The
presence of these instances does not in any way serve to discredit the basic
value of R&S interfaces in appropriate instances.

3. The difficulties of interaction with VistA (DHCP as well) can be
frequently traced to design features of these software tools that have
nothing to do with the basic User Interface that has been selected.
However, if one isn't aware of the second order design features in a given
software tool it is easy to indict the first order feature--in this case the
R&S technique.  Then, as the discussion drifts onto the first order
technique, R&S for example, one is carried away from the important cores
issues.

4. The ideas of form and function fitting the task in industrial engineering
apply equally to the design of software tools, such as "register a patient",
"enter a new prescription", "make an outpatient clinic appointment", or
"assign a bed".  I know DHCP, and VistA in its turn, were largely fashioned
by programmers who were not formally prepared to do the industrial and human
engineering involved in their work.  Where VistA/DHCP has excelled, those
programmers filled that gap by application of their own talents, or by
learning more about that aspect of their work.  There are many excellent
examples of this in Vista/DHCP.

Regards,

Richard.

P. S.

It is said that a master craftsman is one who knows at least 3 ways to abuse
each of the tools used in that craft.  As program design and development,
and computer language use can also be regarded as a craft, then some among
us have achieved the status of "master".  The VA FileManager as a tool set
comes to mind, with George Timson as the Master Craftsman.  Unfortunately,
many of those who crafted DHCP/VistA were not aware of the many abuses of
the tools that they committed in that process.

RGD.