Kevin,
Thanks for the debugger. It's really nice.

I got to know where the problem is. This is my %ZISH routine's OPEN portion.
Here I had included the command "S X2="/home/vista/OpenVistA"" to restrain
the system from creating an HFS file in the "/" directory by default. As
soon as I rmoved this command everything is woking fine.

OPEN(X1,X2,X3,X4,X5,X6) ;SR. Open file
9        ;D
OPEN^%ZISH([handlename],[directory],filename,[accessmode],[recsize
         ])
10       ;X1=handle name
11       ;X2=directory, X3=filename, X4=access mode
12       ;X5=new file max record size, X6=Subtype
13       ;
14       N %,%1,%2,%IO,%I2,%P,%T,X,Y,$ETRAP
15       S $ETRAP="D OPNERR^%ZISH"
16       S X2="/home/vista/OpenVistA"
17       S U="^",X2=$$DEFDIR($G(X2)),X4=$$UP^XLFSTR(X4)
18       S
Y=$S(X4["A":"append",X4["R":"readonly",X4["W":"newversion",1:"reado
         nly")

But is there no way of defining the "default directory to create the HFS
files in"?

Regards
Usha