There are applications that use semantically meaningful values for the IEN, but I don't recommend doing this. In fact, I would recommend rather strongly that you do not do this. However, you CAN ensure that a field such as .01 be unique. You need to create new style cross-reference, and this will be done automatically for you if you make this field into a key. Being "clever" is seldom a good idea, but you can even make the "B" cross-reference the uniqueness index underlying the key if you really want to. I don't know if this is responsive to your  question, but I've worked with a number of files that attempt to have semantically meaningful .01 fields, and that really buys you very little and does cause a bunch of grief in the long run.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by "backward pointer".  Are you wanting to quickly identify the (sub)records in another file pointing a record in your file?

===
Gregory Woodhouse

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary
man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson