This is what I would have expected, at least on any systems where MUMPS jobs are implemented as native threads or processes, but not that many years ago, I've heard that people have reported finding otherwise. But be that as it may, yielding the processor isn't the only issue. You still don't want to "wake up" and perform an (albeit global) I/O operation every second. I/O is still expensive, and not yielding control of the processor (as was an issue in older Windows and even Java implementations) isn't the only issue here.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The policy of being too cautious is