Are you familiar with the Data Dictionary in Fileman? You can view th
definition for any file by choose Data Dictionary Utilities and then
List File Attributes.

--- Kin Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does VistA has a formal set of file/data descriptions for the globals
>
> defined?
> If so, where is the document set(s), or better the definitions in
> global(s)?
>
> I remember the Sanchez/Profile products have their proper file/data
> definitions
> in global. I have rearranged their definitions so that a programmer
> can take
> single data item and at a glance see what files (in Profile's case
> the
> products
> i.e. RRSP, Saving accounts) are involved. Similarly, look at a file
> and all
> data
> items involved. During the system conversion, the programming/QA
> teams
> don't have to be an expert in banking business, but able to isolate
> each
> issue
> and tackle it one by one without being swamped by the 'big' picture.
> The DBA
> will step in to have the kick here and there!
>
> My thought on GUI'ing the registration:
> If formal definitions are out there, I probably can arrange it by
> setting
> the
> global nodes to cross-referring each other, say by screen_no,
> registration_type,
> VA/non_VA, etc., therefore, we can essentially build some sort of
> decision
> tables.
> I should be able to tell which items should go to which screen. Based
> on
> the entries from the previous screen, some items have to be enabled
> and
> some disabled. Having the data requirements sort out, I can then do
> routine
> search, global node referencing, or whatever to build the GUI
> screens.
> To extend the idea, I can probably see if a data item (global piece)
> is
> identified
> in DG registration, MAS, ADT, or CPRS, so I can maintained the data
> integrity
> without missed filing any required flags, triggers, etc. Isn't this
> perfect,
> or what ;-)?
>
> Regards
> Kin

Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Without the requirement of mathematical aesthetics a great many discoveries
would not have been made."

-- Albert Einstein