From: "Cameron Schlehuber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:31 AM
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] Station Numbers for institutions in VOE

The STATION NUMBER field should be kept as is for VA and be null for non-VA
sites.  There is an IDENTIFIER sub-file field 9999 that uses a CODING SYSTEM
(the entries to select from are established in collaboration with the VA HL7
administrator) and an ID unique to that Coding System.  What we need to do
with VistA for VOE, OpenVistA, etc, is to identify the places in code where
Institution identification should be based on that Code System-ID pair.  I
know the Lab Service package has already had to embark on that effort since
lots of institutions with sharing agreements with VA do not have VA Station
Numbers.

Cameron Schlehuber

Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:51 AM

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to provide a standard for station
numbers that can be generalized beyond the VA?. I had hoped that world
vista's open forum might serve that function.

Maybe the station number needs to be modified (with a alpha prefix
perhaps) to identify the side as VA vs Private Sector vs testbed, etc.