On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 21:29 -0400, Kevin Toppenberg wrote:
> Todd,
>
> Tell me about why .pdf is important.

Because PDF is the natural choice for text documents, just as TIFF was
10 years ago.

> I could attach any file I want to a note.  The issue will be the
> generation of thumbnails, and also the display of the .pdf documents.

Yup, that is the issue. Currently for our solution, I believe we will be
generating a thumbnail image of the first page for the thumbnail, and
then showing the entire pdf when it is opened.

> Are you going to host the .pdf viewer in your application?  It seems
> that would also make deployment more difficult.

Somewhat kinda, we are in a unique situation, but we have a library that
we are planning on using and distributing to allow pdf viewing. But no,
we wont be using adobe's stuff, and it shouldn't add any real issues for
deployment for us.

> Why would this be better to do than just having a graphic image of the
> document?

Because there are good odds that PDF attachments are going to be very
common. Right now, e-fax (which gives faxes as PDFs) and pdf scanners
are very common, and will become more so. We will still support
multipage TIFFs for compatibilities sake, but I would assume we will be
recommending PDF over multipage TIFFs.

--Todd