Here is the official info from fda.gov on NDC codes:

NDC Number

Each listed drug product listed is assigned a unique 10-digit, 3-segment
number.  This number, known as the NDC, identifies the labeler, product, and
trade package size.  The first segment, the labeler code, is assigned by the
FDA.  A labeler is any firm that manufactures (including repackers or
relabelers), or distributes (under its own name) the drug. The second
segment, the product code, identifies a specific strength, dosage form, and
formulation for a particular firm. The third segment, the package code,
identifies package sizes and types. Both the product and package codes are
assigned by the firm. The NDC will be in one of the following
configurations: 4-4-2, 5-3-2, or 5-4-1.

An asterisk may appear in either a product code or a package code.  It
simply acts as a place holder and indicates the configuration of the NDC.
Since the NDC is limited to 10 digits, a firm with a 5 digit labeler code
must choose between a 3 digit product code and 2 digit package code, or a 4
digit  product code and 1 digit package code.

Thus, you have either a 5-4-1 or a 5-3-2 configuration for the three
segments of the NDC. Because of a conflict with the HIPAA standard of an 11
digit NDC, many programs will pad the product code or package code segments
of the NDC with a leading zero instead of the asterisk.

Since a zero can be a valid digit in the NDC, this can lead to confusion
when trying to reconstitute the NDC back to its FDA standard.  Example:
12345-0678-09 (11 digits) could be 12345-678-09 or 12345-678-90 depending on
the firm's configuration.  By storing the segments as character data and
using the * as place holders we eliminate the confusion. In the example, FDA
stores the segments as 12345-*678-09 for a 5-3-2 configuration or
12345-0678-*9 for a 5-4-1 configuration.