I am working on the GTM upgrade process.  In the past, I set up a
script to define my GTM variables like $gtmgbldir etc.  I was advised
by someone not to simply include these in my .bashrc script, so I
created a script call runvista and setupvistaenv.  When I call
runvista, it calls setupvistaenv and then executes mumps.

But now that I am trying to work with dbcertify and dse, I don't have
these variables available unless I make a new script for this.  I
seems that when a variable is exported from inside a script, then its
scope is only within that script.  So if, from the command-line
prompt, I call setupvistaenv, then the variables go out of scope as
soon as the script ends, and it doesn't help me at all.

So my question is, is there a way to make exportated variables
"globals"?  Also, how is everyone else doing this?  Just put it in the
.bashrc file?

Thanks