Thanks guys, I've tried to turn off the rand feature (which is on by
default in pango it seems) and it really did start working differently.
The example image that I've sent earlier now works identically!
My actual text doesn't seem to work 100% correctly yet, but there's some
(per glyph) open type features there (ss01 etc) so I have to triple check
it that it gets through correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,
Ales