Steve,

Very interesting.  Please point me to the web pages that show
SpecJAppServer/JBB/JVM... numbers for Jikes.

I see some mention of "magic types".   Does this work around the java
verifier by coercing a reference pointer into a Java int and
vice-versa?  This could be done by calling a non-verifiable chunk of
code written in Java.  Something like "Object int2ref(int x);" and
"int ref2obj(Object z)".  The net result sort of "C++-izes" java
without having to modify the language.

If we are going to entertain writing most of the JVM in a type-safe
language, we should also consider the proposed ECMA C++/CLI.  From
what I understand, it standardizes a form of type-safe C++.  It has
the promise of keeping both the Java and C camps happy.

Regarding the inlining of assembly in the JIT.  You point out that
this code can be written in Java then fed to the JIT.  Do you see any
reason why this code can not be written in C/C++, C#, etc?