On 5/19/05, Ahmed Saad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Then, if the VM is written in Java it will be compiled to native code
> using,
> >for example, gcj?
> >or it will be compiled to byte code and will be interpreted by itself?

One could interpret the VM code but it would be too slow for many.  A
better choice is to run the bytecode through a JIT or ahead of time
compiler then execute the machine code.  This binary image could be
created at development time then distributed thus saving the end-user
time and confusion.

Yes, it is confusing.   I am convinced that in the long term the JVM
and the underlying OS will merge and that 90+ percent of the
combination will be written in a type-safe language (either Java or
C#).

In the short term, I believe we should develop Harmony in C/C++ with a
migration path to a type-safe language (either ECMA CLI based or
Java.)