On May 25, 2005, at 7:06 AM, netSQL wrote:

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

both  C/C++  and  Java in this effort.

Good thought.

Lets consider this one step further for holly grail of Cross Platform: Consider C# (Mono w/ GTK#) and XPCom (Firefox Xross Platform "objects") instaed of C/C++? ( I am sick of C/C++ and even Apple Objective C)

Sort of Start w/ what we have on Fedora4, Eclipse(GTK2 native I belive in SWT) and Tomcat work on it w/ Classpath+GCJ.

Then get this idea http://www.omnicore.com/xdevelop_comparison.htm (look at langs) and this Novell idea (look at langs) http://www.mono-project.com/ Plans .
( and http://www.ikvm.net - Java deployed on CLI)

I spend a good portion of my few spare cycles pondering C# and Mono. I don't have enough of them to have reached any intelligent conclusion, though :)

And related croos platform sucessfull efort is http:// wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:SDK (Works great on Cocoa Mac, Active X, etc.; but this is a C/C++. It's a bit hard to work w/ make and pointers after Ant and GC), re-implement in both Java and ANSI C#. (more on "C/C++" GRE, etc. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/faq.html, such as Geko/GTK + api. Even look at Apache http://httpd.apache.org/cli synergy, and iBatis Java and .NET )

So, what I am saying, a cross platform byte-code and CLI (not native w/ inspiration from XPCom)!

Well, the pros will have to weigh in, but I'm concerned that you'd need a translation step from java bytecode to xplatform byte-code for everything, and then do your optimization and execution there. I don't know the penalty for that. I assume that IKVM at least can tell us how well that goes.

So if you buy that, what's the compass?
Here is what a simple PetStore(s) should bein "Haromony XP":

* http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-SWT-browser-widget/ browser.html

* http://primates.ximian.com/~edasque/projects/Tutorial/glade2.html - I can make in Java via ikvm.net.

Maybe target a sample browser app in ANSI C# (nothing evil about ANSI) and Java. Runtime can be bytecode, but somone could port to cross platform CLI.

Well, I think that wrt trying to eliminate C++ and C, you've just moved the problem elsewhere - because we'll still need a set of portable intrinsics and bootstrapper, and C++/C are natural candidates.

That said, I would assume that properly architected, you could follow the same pattern and build in the framework we devise a CLI using the same techniques in C# used in Java.

I think that's interesting, and certainly would build a larger community, but my personal interest is a compatible implementation of J2SE.

Why that as focus?
- Eclipse already WORKS and can and does ship w/ Linux distro (a MAJOR Harmony goal). - It's sufficiently chalanging, if the browser widget and application work "XP", the text box, radio buttons is no problem. :-) (And somone down the road can write a full browser w/ Rino in "Hramony") - I think that Mono browser and SWT browser are similar. Come up w/ ANSI and Java TCK way to implement. The sf.net "motto" is: do one thing and do it well, and I see all these things as convergence.

.V

(ot: I think I posted 1st on Java coming w/ FC4 that had a hand in kicking this off ;)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]