On May 27, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Matthew French wrote:

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 15:43 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

This isn't an immediate goal, but certainly would be something to
keep in mind when architecting ?  I mean, you can certainly see VMs
being incorporated into the OS?

Hmmm. Interesting...

You are talking about a VM becoming part of the kernel? java.ko? So you
can now distribute your hardware drivers as Java classes?

I was thinking being able to run java programs as first class citizens in the OS. Never thought about Java for device drivers...

But why stop there. How about making the whole operating system a VM?
Sure you need some extensions to handle interrupts, DMA, hardware
registers and the like. But

Java programs will also start so much quicker.

Making this a real time system could be interesting. :)

Although obviously not a goal for Harmony, I wouldn't be surprised if
someone is already researching the concept.

They are certainly out there... one has been mentioned here... I forget what it is called...

geir

- Matthew

[EMAIL PROTECTED]