On 7/4/05, Robin Garner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know where you get the idea that downloading JikesRVM or any
> component thereof 'contaminates' you.

I may be wrong on the contamination issue.  The real issue is that  I
do not have permission to download anything but Apache licensed code.

>The e-mail you refer to talks
> about redistributing a work derived from a CPL-ed work as part of an
> Apache distribution.

Exactly.  Harmony won't bundle non-Apache code with its download.  The
goal is a complete Apache licensed JVM stack that works right out of
the box.  This includes a GC.   If Harmony modularization is
successful, third parties can plug in non-Apache components such as a
GC from Jikes, Rotor, Sun, etc.

> While MMTk is a component of JikesRVM, it is maintained by a distinct
> subgroup of the JikesRVM community.  If Harmony were to use MMTk, I'm
> sure we could make it available under an appropriate license.
>
> In any case, the development model of MMTk is to be portable, as
> reflected in the Rotor and JNode ports, and to maintain a common code
> base for all platforms it supports.  There would then be no issue of
> distributing a derived work.
>
> Can't you just work on the same basis as people are with Classpath -
> just proceed as though the license issues will eventually be worked
> out ?

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to proceed until the license issues
are worked out.