Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:

AFAIK IKVM, sablevm and jamvm all run on portable devices.

Developing a j2me jvm is not as easier as it seens, first, the
footprint and execution performance must be really optimized, so
expect a LOT of assembly coding.
Back to the language wars again :) This does not necessarily follow. Try googling for the 'squawk' VM - they had a poster at OOPSLA last week. This is a java-in-java virtual machine targetted at embedded devices. The core VM runs in 80KB of memory. Device drivers are all written in Java.

After that, a jvm that runs in no device is pretty much useless, then
we would need to test in the many devices we would support. Developing
for a smartphone platform, like Symbian, BREW or Nokia Series 60
(Symbian based) would make it easier, but not easy.

But I cannot say that the idea is bad, as the j2me implementations out
there are really bad comparing to the j2se offerings. Maybe with a
FOSS jvm that is pretty solid, many vendors would stop bundling buggy
software and more convergence of optional capabilities and bugs would
happen.

I'm just not sure that such project would fit the Harmony proposal, as
the idea is to implement a j2se compatible jvm.