Hi Archie, Etienne, Tim,

On 4/7/06, Archie Cobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tim Ellison wrote:
> > I would object to making the Harmony kernel GNU Classpath specific, so
> > why not make the adapter a separate 'project', i.e. just
> >       gnuclasspathadapter/src/java/java/lang/VMxxxxx.java
> >
> >> GNU Classpath needs unique "pointer" classes.  We could put them at
> >> kernel/src/gnuclasspathadapter/java/gnu/classpath/Pointerxxxxx.java
> >
> > or
> >       gnuclasspathadapter/src/java/gnu/classpath/Pointerxxxxx.java
> >
> >> Thoughts on the above?
> >
> > it's more important to get the code working than figure out where in the
> > Harmony repository it would end up isn't it?
> >
> > Wherever it goes I expect it will simply be built into one or more JARs
> > that are put on the bootclasspath to run Classpath-oriented VMs (just
> > like any other VM provides its own own kernel implementation).
>
> We can commit the kernel_path stuff into JCHEVM somewhere under java.

Hmmm.... since the goal is zero mods to the JVM, it doesn't make sense
to put the bulk of kernel_path in any specific JVM's source tree.
Right now the only mod required to do "hello world" should go away
once I figure out how to rebuild Harmony dll's so that dlopen() can
load them.  The whole thing is really sort of similar to a port of
Linux to a new platform.  Since the different flavors of Linux ports
have sub-branches in the main Linux source tree, how about the
following proposal?

Create a new branch under Harmony/modules/ called gnuclasspathadapter.
 It will contain all the java source that is needed to glue Harmony
Classlib to a GNU Classpath compatible JVM.  Make/ant will generate
gnuclasspathadapter.jar from this sub-tree.

If you like the above idea, I could re-send the above with the subject
line, "[classlib] proposal to create new directory holding the GNU
Classpath adapter".

Thoughts on the above?

> I started working on this but never heard from Geir whether it was OK
> to check it in. If someone will confirm it's OK to commit the kernelpath
> stuff I'll do it.
>
> -Archie

Weldon Washburn