Geir Magnusson Jr <geir <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Good question though - what does GNU Classpath do?

Throw better exception messages, of course ;)

I don't see a specific rule regarding this in the GNU Classpath
hackers guide [1], but as long as a specific exception message
(format) is not mandated by the spec, we (should here, and do in
GNU Classpath in general) take the liberty to provide (more)
useful error messages.

>From my experience with the RI, the exception messages tend to
be of less then desirable utility to fix the problems that
cause the exceptions [2], so copying them verbatim does not
apper to be desireable to me.

Moreover, the 'search engine optimization' effect of copying
the same error messages would seem to be easily fixeable by
providing better error messages in ant, if I understood
Mark's example correctly ...

So, to cut my post short, I'm with Elena on this: provide a
useful exception message that helps the user figure out what
the problem is.

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/docs/hacking.html
[2] http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=377599&tstart=0
 for a classic example:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

Obviously, it would be a bit more helpful to know where the system went looking
for that class, for example. So Kaffe would give you:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: NoSuchClass not found in
java.lang.ClassLoader$1{urls=[file:/home/topic/projects/kaffe/./], parent=null}

which is a bit more helpful.