Ivan, Andrey,

The main thing I vote for is to evaluate and to take the best from other
distribute dependency management systems before starting "relatively
easy to modify the DRLVM building system". I like Ivan's list, though
Apache Maven has a domestic priority :-).

Let me address two real problems you have mentioned:

   * Update only when needed to avoid unpleasant surprises
We solved this problem by keeping local Maven repository. Maven gurus
can say if this is a correct way to handle this issue.

   * Mixed builds
Maven supports anything with ANT builds - we can have pre-built binaries
for basic configurations, for others Maven will load source
distributions and build in their environments.

With best regards,
Alexei Fedotov,
Intel Middleware Products Division

[EMAIL PROTECTED]