Good point.  Which  MMTK code base should we work with?  Where is it located?

I know one version of MMTK is bundled with the Jikes source code.   I
do not know if it is the best version to start this project.   There
is a Jikes download link on the page:
http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/download/index.shtml.  The version on
this page is jikesrvm-2.4.4.tar.gz.  Does anybody know of a better
version to start with?