All,

I have been looking at DRLVM contained in JIRA Harmony-438.  As far as
I can tell, it does not have write barrier support.  Write barrier
support is pretty much required for high performance garbage
collectors.  In anticipation of using DRLVM with modern GCs like MMTK,
I'd like to add write barrier support.

DRLVM contains a simple JIT called Jitrino.JET in addition to a highly
optimizing JIT.  The simple JIT seems to be a better choice for
starting the write barrier work.

Looking at Jitrino.JET sources, it looks like the best place to add
write barriers is in cg_ia32.cpp: Compiler::gen_st() {.......}   Does
this seem right?

Also, I have looked for documentation on Jitrino.JET but have not been
able to locate it.  It would be nice see some graphic documentation on
how the compiler spill/fills between the stack and registers.  And
also how the compiler deals with the live ranges of reference
variables.  In specific how root set enumeration works.  While not
absolutely essential for hacking in write barriers, it will help a
bunch during the debug stage.

 Thanks

--
Weldon Washburn