Weldon Washburn wrote:
All,

I am hoping someone who has worked on compilers can actually do the
JIT modifications.  I don't have much experience in compilers.

I am trying to get MMTk write barriers integrated into Harmony DRLVM.
I came up with the following scheme.  I don't know if it is correct.
It would be great if someone from the MMTk crowd looked at it.  If it
helps, I can also post this message on Jikes/MMTk mailing list.

Build a shim between the DRLVM class loader and Jitrino.JET.  The shim
would contain a lookup table that would map _local_ variables of
specific types to int.  In particular, the shim would re-map local
variables of the below types to int:

Address
Extent
Offset
Word

The reason for the shim is to avoid modifying the class loader.  This
should reduce the maintenance burden.

Java source code that creates objects of the above classes is a now a
problem.  For example, Java source code that does:

    int xx = 33;
    Address a1 = new Address(xx);

MMTk never creates instances of the unboxed magic types, so this shouldn't be a problem.
cheers