You give the customer that array, and store a Weak- or PhantomReference
in your object. When you need to update some data, you can check if the
array you gave is still "alive" or not.

I dealt with this kind of problem in javax.swing.text.GapContent. Its
createPosition() method should return an object to client. This object
returned must be updated when data (text) stored in GapContent is
modified. To reduce the number of Position objects to be updated, I used
PhantomReferences to be notified that the object I returned to client
was cleared by garbage collector.

Has anyone else dealt with reference APIs and similar problems?

Regards,
Alexey.

>On 7/28/06, Ivanov, Alexey A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

synchronization
>> is
>> >the fact that customer can recieve reference to the java array and
we
>> don't
>> >know when customer will release the array.
>>
>> What about using Weak- or PhantomReferences and ReferenceQueue? They
may
>> solve your problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --