On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 06:46:26PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> [...]
> > default *now*, we include it by default *for ever*. If we don't
> > include it by default, but have a FAQ up that tells people about the
> > workarounds, then those people for whom it's a problem can fix it, and
> > the rest of the world can get on without it quite happily. But adding
> > it by default is a one-way street that can never be reversed.
>
> I don't agree at all.
>

> >> Like compatibility in general this is a hard problem and we need to take
> >> a pragmatic approach and I really like the current plan of having an
> >> optional suncompat module.
> >
> > There seems to be three options we can go forwards with:
> >
> > 1) Neither have suncompat.jar nor make it default (i.e. where we were
> > before last week)
> > 2) Have suncompat.jar, but don't make it default (instead, provide
> > FAQs like
> > http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/running_eclipse.htm)
> >
> > 3) Have suncompat.jar, and make it default.
>
> I vote for #3, because at this stage of the project, we want to get rid
> of the speedbumps, switching to #2 at some point.  As for #1, this is
> open source... we can't dictate that.
>
> (Actually, that would be a howler wouldn't it... to become the RI for
> sun.*...)
>

> > The transition from 1->2->3 is irreversible, and the decision to go
> > down that path should be considered carefully for both immediate
> > short-term (My app doesn't run on Harmony!) and medium- and long-term
> > goals (non-Sun VMs shouldn't have/need sun. classes)
>
> I absolutely don't agree that the transition is irreversible.  I'd have
> *no* problem moving suncompat from #3 to #2 at anytime in our lifecycle
> because at all times, we're going to make it clear what the situation is
> and why we're doing it.
>

> > I strongly disagree with the suggestion that we must do 3 to support a
> > tiny proportion of apps that may go against Sun's FAQ
> > (http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq/faq-sun-packages.html). Indeed,
> > they go as far as saying that:
> >
> > "The sun.* packages are not part of the supported, public interface.
> > A Java program that directly calls into sun.* packages is not
> > guaranteed to work on all Java-compatible platforms. In fact, such a
> > program is not guaranteed to work even in future versions on the same
> > platform.
> > "In general, writing java programs that rely on sun.* is risky: they
> > are not portable, and are not supported."
> >
> > Why should we support them when Sun don't even claim to?
>
> You know why we're doing this.  If Sun wanted to, I assume they could
> fix the problem in the VM.
>
> > Furthermore,
> > by taking a stance of 1) or 2), we are actively helping push Sun's
> > advice; as opposed to other commercial (IBM, Apple etc.) JVM vendors
> > who have folded. Other VM libraries (e.g. Gnu Classpath) have taken a
> > strong stand against these packages.
>
> Because I want a user population the size of Sun's or IBM's, not GNU

If you've got credible numbers, I'd appreciate seeing them. The numbers
I've got show that more people are using GNU Classpath through Kaffe &
gcj than Sun's or IBM's VM on Debian by a large margin (~ 100%).

See
http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=sun-java5-jre%2Ckaffe%2Cjava-gcj-compat&show_installed=on&show_vote=on&want_percent=on&want_legend=on&beenhere=1

cheers,
dalibor topic