On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:12:30AM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > That said, it's hard to deny that the ASF has never experienced, in 10
> > years of operation, a single fork, despite the complete lack of
> > reciprocity provisions in its licensing strategy, showing that, although
> > counterintuitive, healthy communities are even more effective than
> > licensing restrictions in protecting the evolution of a codebase.
>
> I agree with you, but there have been several forks over the years.  IBM
> forked httpd, IBM, JBoss, ObjectWeb others forked WS...  I'd even argue
> that Sun is technically forking Derby in their "JavaDB" product, and IBM
> "pre-forked" Derby with the Cloudscape product that was the source of
> Derby ... :)

I'd add OpenBSD's fork of httpd to that pile. It was created since
Apache License 2.0 was unacceptable for a core component of the OpenBSD
distribution, and accordingly, the last acceptable version of httpd was
forked, cleaned up from no longer necessary code, and is being
maintained by OpenBSD developers separately.

I also recall ASF's Director Roy Fielding posting on the debian-legal
mailing list on November 14th, 2003, accusing Debian of maliciously
forking httpd ... I assume he was whistled back by whoever holds the
reigns on that project, as Apache didn't take legal action for all
those alleged license violations, afaik, and Debian continues to
distribute patched httpd packages, of course.

cheers,
dalibor topic