On the 0x1D3 day of Apache Harmony Fan Bin wrote:
> Hi, I have a question about jit compiler in drlvm. I want to suspend
> the thread manually on a particular point. I know that the thread
> can only be suspended at safe point. I guess the safe point is
> inserted by jit compiler when it compile the method, but I can't
> prove it from the source code. So my question is whether it's true
> that it is the jit compiler which insert the safe point. If it is
> true, how does it do this?  Thank you for your help.

Hi, Fan Bin,

Weldon's story is great! But I wonder.. do you need to suspend a
thread from within itself or from another thread?

For the first case you can do almost the same thing as insertion of
Object.wait() does. Suspending from another thread happens just like
during GC enumeration from Weldon's message (a flag in 'thread local
storage' is checked via a special 'VM helper' call inserted by JIT).

Call for more details if you need to.