I am no expert on this but from my niece who archives old movies at
the National Archives, DVDs do not have a very long shelf life.  DVDs
are made up of three layers of plastic sandwiched
together.  Apparently over time the adhesive dries up and the layers
separate.  I believe the preferred method of film preservation is
digitizing on hard drives and copying onto VHS film... there is
probably new technology now that I do not know of but I at least
wanted to mention the drawbacks of DVDs based on conversations with
my niece.  And possibly the DVD separation problem has been rectified by now.

Pat Givens
Jewish Community of Central Oregon Library
Bend, Oregon
<mailto:pgiv...@cocc.edu>pgiv...@cocc.edu