1730-1830. Catalog. "The Jew As Other"

(view online at http://www.danwymanbooks.com/jew_as_other.htm)

Dear Friends,

We are proud to make available to you another wonderful exhibition
catalog from the Jewish Theological Seminary Library here in New York:
Jewish Theological Seminary of America; Felsenstein, Frank
THE JEW AS OTHER: A CENTURY OF ENGLISH CARICATURE, 1730-1830.
AN EXHIBITION, APRIL 6-JULY 31, 1995

ISBN 0873340698

New York: The Library of The Jewish Theological Seminary of America,
1995. Soft Cover, Square 8vo, 72 pages. Black and white illustrations
on nearly every page.
The eighteenth century often has been dubbed "the golden age of
English caricature". The purpose of this exhibition was to present a
selection of caricatures of the Jews of eighteenth-century England,
chosen primarily from the extensive holdings of the Israel Solomons
Collection at the Library of The Jewish Theological Seminary. The
JTSA library houses one of only three large-scale collections of such
prints in the world, the others being those of the Department of
Prints and Drawings in the British Museum and the privately owned
collection of Mr. Alfred Rubens of London. Leaving aside for the
moment any intrinsic artistic merit, the particular interest of these
prints is as a social and pictorial record of gentile attitudes
toward the Jews in a country that was long heralded as among the most
liberal in eighteenth-century Europe. Despite the progressive and
humanitarian ideals of the intellectual Enlightenment, Jews were
still being depicted in English popular culture as they had been
since medieval times, as usurious embezzlers, blasphemers in league
with the Devil, clandestine consumers of roast pork and seducers of
Christian virgins.

One commenter on the exhibit noted, "For all our own notions of
racial awareness at the end of the twentieth century, it comes as a
bit of a shock to find that an epoch that regularly vaunted its
supposed rationality and common sense still gave succor to so many
age-old popular superstitions concerning the Jews. When scholars and
social historians look back at the twentieth century with the
hindsight of two hundred years, will they view our era with all its
atrocities as any less riddled with prejudice than the eighteenth
century as we see it? In many respects, the study of this earlier
period provides an appropriate paradigm for an understanding of our own age."

The prints chosen for this exhibition included works by the major
successors of Hogarth, most notably James Gillray, Thomas Rowlandson,
George Woodward, James Sayers, Isaac Cruikshank and William Heath.
Throughout the eighteenth century, caricatures were widely available,
being sold in print shops and on the street by itinerant peddlers
(including Jewish peddlers as in no. 5). They are the forerunners of
the newspaper cartoon in an age when newspapers were unillustrated.
It is known that some found their way to North America where similar
stereotypical attitudes are loosely represented in contemporary
anecdotes about the Jews. Early collectors of caricatures often
preserved them by mounting them in albums for their own personal
amusement. Later, similar prints were issued in series or album form.
By the 1840s, the popularity of such cartoons was to lead to the
foundation of Punch, or the London Charivari, a satirical and
humorous paper that ran weekly, illustrations and all, until its
demise in our own serious (or perhaps "politically correct"!) age of
the first half of the 1990s.

A beautifully produced companion to this important exhibit. New Condition.

$27.00

Please order your copy today!

**Please note: We will be closed from 2pm Thursday Feb. 24 until
Monday Feb. 28. All orders received after closing time will be
processed in the order received on Monday**

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Wyman Books LLC.   www.DanWymanBooks.com
183 Ainslie St.  Brooklyn, NY 11211
Catalogs Issued    Browsing by Appointment
d...@danwymanbooks.com   v: 718.963.0410
We Find Good Homes For Nice Jewish Books <<<