Bokser. For Passover

Friends,

As we near Passover, we are pleased to offer another high quality
title from the Jewish Theological Seminary here in New York:

Bokser, Baruch M.
THE ORIGINS OF THE SEDER: THE PASSOVER RITE AND EARLY RABBINIC JUDAISM

New York, JTS Press

2002

ISBN: 0873340876. Paperback, xix, 188 pages, illustrated, 24 cm. New
Edition (Originally published in hardback in 1984).

The Passover and its rite are central in the history of Judaism and
Christianity. Explaining how the Passover evening celebration, the
seder, became one of the most popular Jewish rituals, Baruch M.
Bokser shows how it was based on and transformed a biblical
sacrificial meal. Bokser demonstrates the significance of the motif
of Passover in ancient Judaism, indicating why Jews and Christians
employed it to express hopes for redemption. And he also illuminates
the process of historical development through the interaction of a
traditional heritage with contemporary and outside cultural
influences. This is a fascinating book which will add much to our
understanding of Judaism and Christianity and of the nature of
religion in a changing world.

Baruch Bokser was ordained as a rabbi at Jewish Theological Seminary
and also received a Ph.D. in religious studies from Brown University.
Beginning in 1974, he taught at the University of California at
Berkeley, leaving in 1982 for Dropsie College in Philadelphia (now
the Annenberg Research Institute for Judaic and Near Eastern
Studies). Then in 1986, Bokser returned to the Jewish Theological
Seminary to join the faculty and where, at his early death at age 44
in 1990, he was the director of the program in ancient Judaism.

SUBJECT(S): Seder. Sederabend. Seder-Feier. Judaism; Mishnah; Special
subjects: Seder. Mishnah. Pesahim -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Tosefta. Pesahim -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. Mishnah --
Criticism, interpretation, etc. Mishna. Pesahim -- Critique,
interpretation, etc. Tosefta. Pesahim -- Critique, interpretation,
etc. Mishnah. Mo'ed. Pesahim. Tosefta. Includes indexes. Bibliography
on pages 149-181. New Condition

"Packs facts, analysis and insight into its relatively short 141
pages of text and footnotes. The hypothesis and argument are clearly
spelled [out] and and then supported by detailed references to
various Talmud and Mishnah sections which are reproduced as
necessary. Although...reprinted in 2002, it is current and consistent
with more recent works. I read the book in the weeks leading up to
2009 Passover holidays and found much in Dr. Bokser's work to work
into the actual Seder and ignite the interest of those present. In
essence, Dr. Bokser makes a very persuasive case that the Passover
Seder, as molded in the Hagaddah, was one of the key pillars for the
survival of Judaism after the catastrophic destruction of the Second
Temple in 70 C.E. Certainly, he establishes that the basics of the
Seder as we know it today with its emphasis on freedom, community and
symbolic ritual owes its genesis to the Tanna and the Amora of the
centuries following the destruction" (Jerome Hoffman, Amazon review).

$25.00

We have a limited supply on hand, please order your copy today.

Watch for more great Passover-related book offers from Dan Wyman
Books in the coming weeks!

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Wyman Books LLC.   www.DanWymanBooks.com
183 Ainslie St.  Brooklyn, NY 11211
Catalogs Issued    Browsing by Appointment
d...@danwymanbooks.com   v: 718.963.0410
We Find Good Homes For Nice Jewish Books <<<