5 May 5, 2011

Dear Friends,

All of us at Jerusalem Books hope that all of you had an enjoyable,
possibly even memorable Passover. There have been so many wonderful
books published in Israel that it can only bring joy to a bookseller's heart.

In keeping with the beautiful renovation of its galleries the Israel
Museum has published an outstanding  book entitled,' Me'ah Shenot
Omanut Yisraelit,'  100 Years of Israeli Art. The book by Yigal
Tsalmona, the Chief Curator is 503 pages all in Hebrew and records
the development if Israeli art with text and reproductions of major
works. The book has works, analysis and an index of over two hundred
artists as well as footnotes. What can be said about such a creation.
It has Art History and Jewish cultural as well as Israeli political
history. It is multi-faceted and multi- media making reference to
sculpture, posters, paintings and architecture and photography. I am
sure that many will agree that this book transcends narrow
categorization and should be a part of a Jewish library
collection.  Isbn 978 965 278 378 3 Cat. #  76124 $76.00

Hebrew Literature is an essential topic and we promise to revisit
cover it in depth at other times and particularly in other forums
vis-a-vis those special clients who have serious interest and needs
in this area. Having said this we should mention just a few
highlights.  'The Poetry Beyond Words,' 'ha-Shira she-me-ever
la-milim,'  is a classic on the Hebrew Poetry of Natan Zach, by the
author.  It is published by KB"M (ha-Kibbutz ha-Me'uhad), 2011 and
covers almost thirty years of the authors literary life, 1954-1973
and will interest all those interested in Hebrew and Israeli
literature and those who are involved in research of literature or
literary criticism. Cat. # 76471 $44.00

Also not to be missed, Aharon Appelfeld's, 'Mayim Adirim,' Mighty
Waters,  the latest novel by the internationally recognized
Israeli  writer. The book will enthrall and entertain as it reveals
the story of it's main character the noble farmer who searches for
justice not to mention meaning and love. Isbn 978 965 517 975 0  Cat
#  76730   $39.00

Jewish Thought or Philosophy and Rabbinics, aka Sifre Kodesh, overlap
and we will skip the difficulties and mechanics of that topic. Makhon
Van Leer and Magnes have published 'Rav be-Olam ha-Hadash,' 'Rabbi in
the New World : the Influence of Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveichik on
Culture, Education and Jewish Thought,' edited by  Avinoam Rosenak
and Naftali Rothenberg. This book includes a collection of scholarly
chapters by leading figures in modern Jewish Studies on the
teachings, philosophy and influence of this important 20th Century
CE, rabbi and scholar. The book traverses many important fields of
study from Bible interpretation – exegesis, Talmud, scientific
critical Jewish Studies, Modern Orthodoxy and much more. Prof. Joseph
(Yossi) Turner discusses what some have called his integrationist
philosophy which allows for embracing and study of modernity. The
precepts of 'tora u-mada' the combination of Jewish studies and
science, math, law, for example are amply analyzed in the chapters of
the book. The limitations of this thinking as it approaches
recognition of differing streams and pluralism in Judaism, as seen by
Rav Soloveichic are acknowledged. In other chapters the founding and
growth of Yeshiva University are chronicled along with figures like
Bernard Revel . Still other chapters  deal with the openness to
interfaith dialog and its limitations or conditions within modern
orthodoxy. In summation the book is a broad and deep window into the
foundations and thinking of the 'modern orthodox' world.    Isbn 978
965 493 517 3, Cat. #   76715 $ 42.00

Feldheim has published a quality and important work entitled, 'Gedole
ha-Musar be-shevile ha-talmud.' The book is an index of the writings
of R' Israel Salanter z"l and other modern mussar sages, such as
Rabbi's Eliezer Dessler, Lupian, Shmuelovich, Friedlander and Shlomo
Volve, with reference to Talmud. The book is structured and divided
according to Talmud Tractates, (Mesekhtot),  and the works of these
leading Rabbinic Mussar sages are cited to each book, part and page.
The books of the aforementioned sages as well as earlier sages, such
as the Saba mi-Kelm,  (R' Sincha Zisel Broide), the Savot of
Novhordok and Slobodka are also included and cited. This book is
remarkable in its painstaking comprehensivenss edited b y R' Yitzhak
Azulai and R' Yosef Aliasi. This is a significant bibliographic work
which will be an essential research tool in the years to come. It is
classic Talmud, Ethics, and Jewish Philosophy and Judaic
bibliographic history as well.  Cat. # 74322 $36.00

Professor Avraham Grossman has written, 've-Hu Yimshol bakh,' 'He
Shall Rule Over You,' on the role of women in the teachings of Jewish
Sages of the Middle Ages.  The book is a giant in the fields of
Jewish History, Jewish Thought and Philosophy as well as Women's and
Gender Studies. The book has chapters beginning with Samuel ha-Nagid,
Rashi (R' Solomon ben Isaac), Maimonides (Ramban), Nahmanides
(Ramban),  R' Yehuda Ha-Hasid, the Radak  - R' David Kimhi, the
Maharam of Rotenburg, (Don Isaac) the Abarbanel and many others over
the centuries. The book is published by Merkaz Zalman Shazar, 2011.
Cat # 76177  $ 42.00

Finally let us mention a couple of titles in the area of Israel and
Zionism. Moshe Yegar has written ,  'Toldot ha- mah'laka ha-medinit
shel ha-sokhnut ha-yehudit,' 'the History of the Political Department
of the Jewish Agency.'  It is about the lives, dreams and efforts of
Haim Weitzman and Moshe Sharet, Charles Wingate and Teddy Kollek and
others. It is the history of the Jewish People and the Jewish State
from the 1920's to the founding of the State of Israel. The book is
385 pages with citations, notes, biographies, sources, bibliography
and index of an additional 201 pages. The book, published by
Ha-Sifriya ha-tsionit, ha-Hotsa'ah le-or shel ha-histadrut
ha-tsionit,  isbn 978 965 440 072 5, 2011. Cat. # 76088  $  37.00

Another Hebrew book on a related time and subject is, 'Moshe Sharett
: Behind Barbed Wire in the Valley of Ajalon : the Smuggled Political
Correspondence of the Head of the Jewish Agency's Political
Department June – November 1946, 'Yarkhim be-Emek Ayalon.' These are
from jail, not the Birmingham jail. The book is edited by Pinhas
Ofer, isbn 978 965 911172 5, 2011. Cat. 76734 $ 56.00

  At this time as we approach the middle of 2011, we are proud to be
involved with Jewish Studies, the dissemination and research of
Jewish subjects from Hebrew Literature through Jewish History,
Thought, Philosophy, Religion, Art, Zionism and Israel. Most of all
we are proud to serve Jewish Libraries, faculty, staff and students
and we are thankful for your interest and support for our work.

On a personal note I look forward to seeing many of you, our friends,
this coming June in Montreal Canada at the upcoming AJL.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jerusalem Books ltd.

POB 26190, Jerusalem 91261, Israel

Tel: 972-2-642-6576  Fax: 972-2-643-3580

www.jerusalembooks.co.il

jerbo...@netvision.net.il