The only problems with the transition to ebooks from printed books are
that at present most publishers don't want to sell to libraries and use a
DRM system that prevents loans (but this will change in time), and that
Orthodox Jews will still want printed books for Shabbos (based on past
practices, I assume Conservative and Reform will have no trouble switching
to something resembling tablets) - it would take a change to certain
physical laws to produce a tablet that could be used without consuming
energy. The DRM issue will probably settle itself since library users have
a lot more protectsia than publishers, and a prolonged boycott of
libraries by publishers would lead to changes in the copyright law that
publishers wouldn't like.

Of course the transition will be traumatic for some people, as was the
switch from clay tablets to paper, or from manuscripts to printed books
(in most Muslim countries the scribes managed to restrict use of printing
so long that the countries went from 1st world to 3rd world).  Physically,
future libraries will probably look more like internet cafes.

Aaron

Aaron Wolfe Kuperman
Library of Congress, ABA USPL, Law Cataloging Section

This is NOT an official communication from the Library of Congress.