Should we panic that our libaries lack scrolls?  Can you imagine a good
library without any scrolls? What about tablets (the small clay ones with
squiggling staff scratched on them - probably what Avraham used to use)?

Aaron

This is not an official policy statement from my employer (which, BTW,
does have both scrolls and tablets though we do lack native speakers of
sumerian to help catalog them).

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013, Rachel Haus wrote:

> I read the article, as well as the couple comments below it and one really
> resonated. While it seems as if everyone has a updated computer, tablet, etc,
> not everyone does because not everyone can afford one. Our family of 5
> currently shares a single computer because we cannot afford more. While we
> migtht save up for an extra computer, what about the family with far more
> limited resources?
?
The comment made at the end of the article suggested that those without the
means for technology might love to read at home, but would be out of luck
should all reading material?be converted to digital form. Tablets might be lent
out, but small libraries in small communities like mine can't possibly afford
even to offer ebooks, let alone to invest in tablets. I see a disturbing class
divide here?for basic access to knowledge.

Rachel Haus
Library Director
Congregation of Moses Library
Kalamazoo MI
rhaus_...@yahoo.com

Aaron Wolfe Kuperman
Library of Congress, ABA USPL, Law Cataloging Section

This is NOT an official communication from the Library of Congress.