How about this:

I can see the value of the learning experience - and assistance to the
rabbi - who indeed may have a limited amount of funds - but I am tired
of seeing situations where someone is expected to volunteer as a
student to undertake a learning experience (from whom is the student
going to learn?)  - for nothing.
So- a) do the work as a practicum (for credit) under an instructor who
agrees to provide assistance and do it for nothing - but it's up to
the university whether this would be an acceptable practicum.
Generally - they would want a site supervisor who is going to be
providing guidance; b) get the synagogue to do a mini fund-raiser -
for a small internship grant - like maybe $1500 - or so for 120 hours
or so (the going rates are small in NC - so judge on the local going
rate) ; and c) seek out a volunteer from ha-safran (or elsewhere?) to
run a check list on whatever this intern and the rabbi get done -
since there is (apparently) no expertise available on-site.

It's a good opportunity - but even a student is going to need some
guidance - and the small amount of money would be helpful.  In my
geographical area, I've seen "friends of the library" raise $$ for
internships sometimes - (but generally - the intern is going to engage
in a special project with guidance - not be on his or her own).

Nancy Poole
Greensboro, NC