From: Hasafran
[mailto:hasafran-bounces+kolodney=austin.utexas....@lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of
Michelle Chesner
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:53 AM
To: hasafran@lists.osu.edu
Subject: [ha-Safran] Worldcat Discovery Services replacing Firstsearch -
experience? reactions? (RAS)

Hi All,

It seems that OCLC will be discontinuing Firstsearch at the end of 2015, and in
its place, has created Worldcat Discovery Services
(https://oclc.org/worldcat-discovery.en.html) - which is basically a souped up
version of worldcat.org<http://worldcat.org>.  It loses much of the
functionality of Firstsearch, and any return to functionality (at least those
that they are willing to make), are considered "enhancements" and will add to
cost.

Has this come up at any other institutions?  How are people dealing with it?
Perhaps this is something that should be discussed at AJL?

Michelle

Michelle Chesner

Norman E. Alexander Librarian for Jewish Studies

Columbia University

309 International Affairs (420 W. 118th St.)

New York, NY 10027

212-854-8046<tel:212-854-8046>

mc3...@columbia.edu<mailto:mc3...@columbia.edu>

https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/jewishstudiesatcul/