With so many synagogue libraries cutting hours and budgets, there must be a
reluctance to answer the question about circulation figures.
Without going into exact numbers, I can tell you that my synagogue library,
where my hours (budgeted salary) have been cut from 20 hours to 12 hours in the
last nine years, has experienced a proportionate decrease in circulation. Most
of this is due to my patrons use of e-readers and the proliferation of e-books.
My patrons still read as much as before, and participate in an average of 2-3
book clubs, but I have less requests for books because our local libraries
offer so many titles (yes, even those with Jewish content) to download and they
are always aware of the titles that the book clubs are reading.
Other reasons include; membership in inexpensive plans like Kindle Unlimited
and the ability to share titles with extended family members.
Another downside, for my library, of the use of e-readers is that I don't get
as many donations of these books as before and with the very significant cuts
to my ordering budget sometimes I just can't afford to buy the books that
people want to read.
Since the synagogue has a Sunday School, and the kids are my main customers,
most of my budget goes toward the purchase of children's books. As to the
school children's circulation numbers, these seem to have held fairly steadily.

Helen Chronister
Librarian
Minnie Cobey Memorial Library
Congregation Tifereth Israel