Dear Friends & Colleagues,

On behalf of Academic Studies Press, it is my pleasure to announce the
publication of a volume you may be interested in: *Reflections on Identity:
The Jewish Case
<http://www.academicstudiespress.com/browse-catalog/reflections-on-identity-the-jewish-case>
*by
Avi Sagi.

December 2016 | 9781618115348 | 224 pp. | $79.00 USD | Hardcover

*Summary:* Two basic approaches have shaped the identity discourse since
antiquity. The essentialist view assumes that a person's identity does
exist "somewhere," and the discourse on identity is an attempt to disclose
it. People do not create their identity, they only realize it. The
opposite, deconstructionist view, assumes that the identity is only a
linguistic fiction; we have no identity outside our concrete history, which
reflects a constantly ongoing dynamic change. The present book offers a
third option. It accepts that identity is not a priori datum that precedes
our existence but claims we do have a set historical cultural identity it
calls "primary," expressing a permanent foundation of our biography. On its
basis, we build our concrete identity. Engaging in a critical analysis, the
book exposes the foundations and the borders of the identity field. As a
test case that illustrates its claims, it presents the discourse on Jewish
identity. Lively, vigorous, and widely recorded, this discourse conveys
many nuances of the tension between continuity and change and is thus
uniquely fit to convey the significance of the identity discourse.

*Professor Avi Sagi* teaches philosophy at Bar-Ilan University in Israel,
where he established the Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Hermeneutics
and Cultural Studies. He is also a faculty member at the Shalom Hartman
Institute in Jerusalem. He has written and edited many books and articles
in philosophy, among them *Albert Camus and the Philosophy of the
Absurd*; *Kierkegaard,
Religion, and Existence: The Voyage of the Self*; *Jewish Religion after
Theology*, and *Prayer after the Death of God*. His contribution to
contemporary Jewish philosophy has recently been showcased in *Avi Sagi:
Extentialism, Pluralism, and Identity* ed. Hava Tirosh-Samuelson and Aaron
W. Hughes (Leiden: Brill, 2015).

For more information on this title, please visit the book's dedicated
webpage
<http://www.academicstudiespress.com/browse-catalog/reflections-on-identity-the-jewish-case>
.

Best Wishes,