I just sent a paper to Judaica Librarianship proposing a project like this for
yizkor books.  It would be an international database.  If it worked, it could
be a model for all Jewish content.
My paper talks about the implications for cataloging.  The two big questions,
which I don't address, are an umbrella structure for housing the data, doing
maintenance, etc., and funding.
 Beth Dwoskin  2005 Calumet
Ann Arbor, MI 48104