Shalom,

I gave a presentation on emergency preparedness at the 2013 AJL Conference.
Although most of my presentation had to do with care of books after a fire
or natural disaster, here are the notes for the page about active shooters:

And, in case of a shooting OR terrorist incident...

If you hear, “Lockdown” over the intercom or an administrator announces the
Lockdown in person, please immediately adhere to the following procedures:

1.    Campus administrators will announce lockdown procedures by campus
intercom system.

2.    Direct all students, staff, and visitors into a classroom or office
space.

3.    Lock doors, cover windows, or lower blinds.

4.    Block all doors with desk/shelf or anything that can create some
barricade between the door and intruder.

5.    Move individuals away from windows, doors; Turn off lights and
computer monitors. Keep everyone quiet as possible.

6.    Turn *OFF *all cell phones in the room, a light on your screen could
give you away.

7.    Remain in sheltered area until “All Clear” signal is given by law
enforcement or administrators.

8.    Note and report anyone missing to the Site Commander.
9.   During a local or regional emergency that extends beyond your
institution, cell phone lines might be limited to emergency personnel only,
but you should be able to text people.

10. Read through the entire instructions from Homeland Security

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/active_shooter_pocket_card_508.pdf

Be sure to have a plan in place. I've cleared out a place to hide for our
patrons, have you?

Please watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

Hope that all of these threats turn out to be false,

Jackie

--
Jackie Ben-Efraim

*"Although the books had changed, I the reader had not." **Micha Yosef
Berdichevsky 1865-1921*

Special Collections Librarian
Ostrow Library
American Jewish University