I think I found the book I was looking for:  Jewish Heroes and Heroines—Their
unique achievements.  It includes people in such diverse fields as sculpting,
chemistry, writing, pharmacology, etc. It was written by D Lyman originally in
1996. I just ordered a used copy and will see if it is what I was looking for.
Thanks for all those that offered suggestions.

Dina Tanners

Sent from my iPhone