Dear colleagues,

I was searching for something age-appropriate to use with the after-school
Hebrew School students and found a beautiful 18-minute HBO documentary
inspired by David Adler's book but with a slightly different title -- *The
Number on Great-Grandpa's Arm --* for an audience of about 10 and up. Maybe
you already know about this film, but if not, you need to. Elliott, a
10-year-old, interviews Jack, his 90-year-old great-grandfather, about his
life before, during, and after the Holocaust. The love between them is
palpable. The historical material consists of watercolor animation based on
photos that then merge into the actual photos. The effect is to soften the
images, but you see the real thing -- for example, Jews behind the barbed
wire at Auschwitz. It's direct without being graphic. Marjorie Ingall's
fine review in *Tablet *led me to the film:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/community/articles/holocaust-movie-for-young-viewers__;!!KGKeukY!kY7J-ZKJ8WZ4UqdJq6XtSDFmKBb9Qqi5cC757MY4PnRwY9Up5OK8dW_TMC56m6SV72ROJFdi2RLP_GY$
 .
Marjorie, if you're on Hasafran, thank you!!

You can find the film through HBO but it's also available on Youtube as
part of a 38-minute recording made by the Museum of Jewish Heritage in June
2021. Here's the link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzneegXqx-s__;!!KGKeukY!kY7J-ZKJ8WZ4UqdJq6XtSDFmKBb9Qqi5cC757MY4PnRwY9Up5OK8dW_TMC56m6SV72ROJFdiXbgmRME$
 . It
starts with the museum staffer's brief chat with Elliott, now 15, and his
mother. Then we see the film, which starts at 1:27. Afterwards there is a
Q&A (about 20 minutes), also well worth watching, starting at 18:20.

We screened the film separately for two groups, grades 4/5 and grades 6/7,
in the library. We played the intro and the film (about 18 minutes all
together). Both groups watched with intense attention. Then we paused the
recording to talk about the film and answer questions. After the students
had a chance to ask their own questions, we watched about five minutes of
the Q&A on the video. We will meet again to watch the remaining 15 minutes
and continue our own discussion. We only had a 45-minute time slot, which
is why we just saw a bit of the Q&A. If you wanted to build in discussion
time but also watch the whole recording, I would recommend an hour, with
the possibility of going perhaps 15 minutes longer.

Students will doubtless ask if Jack is still alive. Sadly he passed away in
December 2021 at the age of 95. But the fact that his story has been shared
in this exceptionally fine way only makes the point about the importance of
documenting survivors' stories while it is still possible. And finally, in
a form that engages and informs children, but does not outright terrify
them.

Best,
Annette

Annette Y Goldsmith, PhD (she/her)
Part-time Faculty, Kent State iSchool; Librarian, Sephardic Temple Tifereth
Israel, Los Angeles
Member, 2022 Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award Committee

"A book is like a world you can carry around with you." Liniers