Dear Fellow *Hasafran* Readers:

I find it both curious and revealing that Emily Drabinski is suddenly
attempting to backpedal from her own views,  expressed quite overtly in a
number of forums.  Those of you who watched AJL's conversation with her on
January 19ᵗʰ of this year may have noticed what makes it rather odd that
she is saying that I “misrepresented” her views is that everything she said
statements she has made quite clearly demonstrate that I have depicted her
views precisely as she herself presents them.  If she's not putting those
extremist thoughts out in her platform for ALA, that does not negate their
existence.

At the aforementioned conversation around her candidacy, I posed the
following to Emily: at ALA Council meetings for at least three decades,
SRRT [Social Responsibilities Round Table] has been putting forward highly
biased, one-sided anti-Israel resolutions, often advancing unfounded
accusations such as alleged “destruction of Palestinian libraries” without
evidence that such archives and libraries even existed or the context of
the entire situation.  These resolutions, by singling out Israel, are
absolutely unbalanced, especially since the advocates completely disregard
actual serious human rights violations by many of Israel's neighbors such
as Hamas and the Palestinian Authority, Syria, Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia,
and terrorist organizations such ISIS or ISIL and Al Qaeda as well as the
oppression and ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya in Burma and the Uighurs in
China, to name just a few examples.

Instead of responding to my concerns, Emily turned it into an interrogation
of me as to what actions I took to try to counter these resolutions.  Thus,
she evaded answering the question by trying to put me on the defensive.

Since she claims I “misrepresented” her position, does she deny having made
the statements below in her writings and taking the stands cited below by
signing petitions attacking Israel as an “apartheid” and “colonial” state
and endorsing BDS as well as academic boycotts of Israel, Israeli scholars,
and Israeli scholarship along with cultural exchanges?

To wit: In “City University of New York Community Statement of Solidarity
with the Palestinian People,” which Emily  signed, she agrees with attacks
Israel as “apartheid” and pledges to:

Initiate, support, and amplify campaigns in solidarity with Palestinian
> calls for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) against Israeli
> apartheid, at CUNY and in our wider communities. In particular, we echo
> the demands of the John Jay Student Letter to Demand BDS and Solidarity
> with Palestinian Resistance and stand with any and all student-led
> resolutions *demanding CUNY**’**s immediate divestment from companies
> that aid in Israeli colonization, occupation, and war crimes...*

...Demand that our individual campuses, and CUNY as a whole, endorse and
> support the Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of
> Israel.

 CUNY SIGNATORIES:

 201. Emily Drabinski, Staff, Graduate Center

If you want to see more, please do a search for the following two websites:
*“Jadaliyya - CUNY Community Statement of Solidarity with the Palestinian
People”* echoing the above document’s calls with Emily Drabinski’s name on
it as well.  A similar statement, linked off of the sites above, can be
found at *“Palestine and Praxis: Open Letter and Call to Action - Palestine
& Praxis: Scholars for Palestinian Freedom.” *

Emily Drabinski is also a signatory of *“**A call for editorial standards
on Palestine/Israel” in *
*#SayEthnicCleansing**,* which places the entire blame for the conflict in
Israel and Palestinian Arab territories on the Jewish state with such
messaging as “Don’t ‘both-sides’ a colonial power and the people resisting
it.”

In addition, Emily is the author of the following articles:
*“Teaching the Radical Catalog,”* (see esp. pp. 2-3) and
*“**Teaching Other Tongues”* in *Journal of Information Ethics* 20(2):42-55
 (see p.49, last 16 lines)

While I certainly do not advocate censorship, and Emily Drabinski is
absolutely entitled to her views and to be able to freely express them,
this is not merely an issue of free speech, which I firmly believe in.
What's at stake here is that ALA and librarianship as a profession are all
about finding and presenting well-supported, documented facts, not
disseminating propaganda to bolster a specific political point-of-view or
agenda.  And, again, while I absolutely support her right to express her
views openly, that doesn't mean she should now attempt to cover them up and
try to distance herself from them because she's addressing a particular
audience.  And, therefore, if I “misrepresented” her position, is she now
openly renouncing all the things she has said about Israel as in the items
cited above?  Has she demanded that her signature be removed from the
anti-Israel petitions she signed as they no longer represent, or somehow
misrepresent, her views?

What is perhaps most disturbing about Emily Drabinski’s candidacy is that
she makes a point of claiming that she wants to steer clear of what pulls
us apart and concentrate on what we have in common, what brings us
together.  At the January 19ᵗʰ discussion with AJL members, Emily stated,
“We need to be having conversations that build our connections to each
other, rather than tearing us apart.”  Laudable and noble sentiments.  Yet
she proudly embraces and advances contentious
resolutions, petitions, and agendas not just akin to those advocated by
SRRT, the Social Responsibility Round Table in ALA, of which she is a
member; in fact, these views to which she gives voice above are much less
subtle in their extremism.  In any case, these declarations concentrate
only on what Israel does to the exclusion of all of the repressive regimes
surrounding Israel and the very serious human rights violations of all
other countries as well as terrorist groups.  This kind of politicking not
only doesn’t bring people together, does not forge connections to one
another based on what we share in common, but is, in fact, the source of
the very divisiveness Emily Drabinski claims she wants to avoid.

If you want to elect a proven leader as ALA President, a person who has
built his career on working to bridge gaps between people, who bolsters,
strengthens, and lifts up communities, including, most importantly in the
head of a library association, library workers and users, and someone who
has long been a beloved mentor to so many, I urge ALA members who haven't
yet completed and submitted their ballots, to *vote for Kelvin Watson*.

The deadline in which this election closes is fast approaching: *Voting
ends tomorrow (or today, *depending on when your read, and/or where
geographically, you see it), *Wednesday, April 6**ᵗʰ** at 11:59 AM **Pacific
Time (2:59 PM Eastern/1:59 PM Central/12:59 PM Mountain).*

Thanks so much!

Elliot

*Elliot H. Gertel*  *עלע־הערש גערטל / אליהו־צבי גרטל*
*Irving M. Hermelin Curator Emeritus of Judaica *
*The University of Michigan *
*Ann Arbor, Michigan *
*eger...@umich.edu* <eger...@umich.edu>