Dan Cohen, Vice Provost for Information Collaboration, Dean of the Libraries,
at Northeastern University, who was the keynote speaker at the AJL Conference
in Boston in 2018, wrote an article in the Atlantic in 2019 that got a lot of
attention, "The Books of College Libraries Are Turning Into Wallpaper". He
argued that print circulation in academic libraries throughout the country was
crashing.
I don't know if that is the same for synagogue and temple libraries.
I know that is the case for the Hebrew College Library. We went from
circulating about 15,000 books a year in Brookline in the 1980's down to about
600 print books circulated this past fiscal year.
It was hard justifying keeping the print collection that we had when it was not
being used.

Harvey

[1585833722787]
Harvey Sukenic
Library Director

617.559.8757 telephone
617.559.8751 fax
617.559.8750 library main desk
hsuke...@hebrewcollege.edu<mailto:hsuke...@hebrewcollege.edu>
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.hebrewcollege.edu__;!!KGKeukY!2OHzV49ZxFIINy3tO8zf2UQXZYuTfdnbRkn2231EKf5VxINrqoNJvc1q_IILwMlOaE3XM2sm3Ac72t6WIBwItOWeOJd2Pi78NxkmpzHltA$

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.hebrewcollege.edu/__;!!KGKeukY!2OHzV49ZxFIINy3tO8zf2UQXZYuTfdnbRkn2231EKf5VxINrqoNJvc1q_IILwMlOaE3XM2sm3Ac72t6WIBwItOWeOJd2Pi78NxlI1WMo1Q$

Rae & Joseph Gann Library
Hebrew College
1860 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02466

Reimagining Jewish Learning and Leadership for an Interconnected World

Follow Hebrew College on
Facebook<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://facebook.com/hebrewcollege__;!!KGKeukY!2OHzV49ZxFIINy3tO8zf2UQXZYuTfdnbRkn2231EKf5VxINrqoNJvc1q_IILwMlOaE3XM2sm3Ac72t6WIBwItOWeOJd2Pi78NxkXCIlrdQ$
Instagram<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://instagram.com/hebrewcollege__;!!KGKeukY!2OHzV49ZxFIINy3tO8zf2UQXZYuTfdnbRkn2231EKf5VxINrqoNJvc1q_IILwMlOaE3XM2sm3Ac72t6WIBwItOWeOJd2Pi78NxlNR8FMEA$
YouTube<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUhjv2S4TW_7rm3ha-tlinQ__;!!KGKeukY!2OHzV49ZxFIINy3tO8zf2UQXZYuTfdnbRkn2231EKf5VxINrqoNJvc1q_IILwMlOaE3XM2sm3Ac72t6WIBwItOWeOJd2Pi78NxlTzLR-AA$
 > | Listen to Hebrew College's Speaking Torah
podcast<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://hebrewcollege.edu/podcast__;!!KGKeukY!2OHzV49ZxFIINy3tO8zf2UQXZYuTfdnbRkn2231EKf5VxINrqoNJvc1q_IILwMlOaE3XM2sm3Ac72t6WIBwItOWeOJd2Pi78Nxn6F2c_Xg$

________________________________
CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization.

The demand for books is diminished. "everything is online. " On 07/12/2023 10:
40 AM EDT Amalia Warshenbrot via Hasafran <hasafran@ lists. osu. edu> wrote:
AJL was planning advocacy for our library members and non-members, but, it is
extremely
The demand for books is diminished. "everything is online."
On 07/12/2023 10:40 AM EDT Amalia Warshenbrot via Hasafran
<hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

AJL was planning advocacy for our library members and non-members, but, it is
extremely difficult. Amalia W. Sent from my iPad On Jul 12, 2023, at 8: 01 AM,
Andrea Rapp via Hasafran <hasafran@ lists. osu. edu> wrote: Any theories on why

AJL was planning advocacy for our library members and non-members, but, it is
extremely difficult.
Amalia W.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 12, 2023, at 8:01 AM, Andrea Rapp via Hasafran <hasafran@lists.osu.edu>
wrote:

Any theories on why this is happening, I,e. dwindling support for synagogue
libraries? Circulation must have been dropping off by a lot, no? I see it also.
Andrea On Jul 11, 2023, at 10: 07 PM, Carol Janoff via Hasafran <hasafran@
lists. osu. edu>

Any theories on why this is happening, I,e. dwindling support for synagogue
libraries? Circulation must have been dropping off by a lot, no? I see it also.
  Andrea

On Jul 11, 2023, at 10:07 PM, Carol Janoff via Hasafran
<hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

This is happening to my temple library too. We have sold our current building
and are renting it back for 3 years, but the outer building where the library
filled two rooms with over 7,000 volumes has been unavailable to us from the
time of

This is happening to my temple library too.  We have sold our current building
and are renting it back for 3 years, but the outer building where the library
filled two rooms with over 7,000 volumes has been unavailable to us from the
time of the sale.  The books are all packed in boxes and stored in the attic of
the sanctuary.  The new building will almost certainly not have a room (or
rooms) dedicated solely to the library but will most likely have a conference
room or some such with shelves around the perimeter.  Obviously most of the
books will not fit and I just don’t even know what we can do with so many
discarded books.  It breaks my heart because I started this library and have
added to it and run it for over 25 years and I think it is a fine collection.
I am a volunteer (with a library science degree from 1973) and I don’t really
want to even deal with this situation. I am dreading the day when the
administrator asks me to do it.  But if I say NO as this point I have no idea
who would do it.

Carol Janoff

Temple Chai

Phoenix, AZ