Everyone - I was delighted to receive a copy of a recently published Jewish
children's book which I'm sure many of you will find of interest and deem
worthy of adding to your libraries.  The book, Ricardo's Extraordinary Journey.
A Boy's Mystical Quest for Fame, Fortune and Adventure (Sarasota, FL, 2019) is
a fictional work, a story within a story, set in medieval Spain as recounted by
a grandfather to his Jewish grandchildren. It is filled with exotic tales of
travel, survival against all odds, and self-discovery. Teenage Ricardo Columbo,
the son of a pharmacist, is entrusted with a map of the wonders of the world
and his father's secret healing potions. He embarks on a momentous journey
throughout the known world of 14th century Europe, Africa, the Middle East,
Persia, India, and China.  He encounters many different peoples and places,
including the center of the world, Jerusalem. Along the way, he meets diverse
Jewish communities and their customs, learns the meaning of courage, respect
for differences, and helps shape the future course of history for the better.
Upon returning home, he makes an important discovery about his own family's
secret identity.  The book is illustrated by students at the Ringling College
of Arts and Design in Sarasota, Florida.

The author of numerous children's books, this is Richard Bergman's first
venture into Jewish children's literature.  Among his publications are:
Grandpa's Bicycle; Not as Much as I love You; Rocco the Platypus Gets Bullied;
Rocco the Platypus Meets Herman the Bully;  Sarah Seahorse Wants a Family. The
author is a self-described entrepreneur, business leader and non-profit
consultant.  He is co-founder of Embracing Our Differences and his stories,
like his volunteer work, reflect his passionate commitment to giving back to
community.
The book may be ordered on line from Amazon
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.amazon.com/Ricardos-Extraordinary-Journey-Mystical-Adventure/dp/0990335224__;!!KGKeukY!29hdOsopb3gGasFLLBuObgZFKwrBtQlo43q6dOfEVXtP7um2zgBItSdSV1zfwP9NCXwPqjum--sVkLor1G4hKXx_aicbvrL44g$
  .  I have not yet seen a cataloged copy in OCLC which is part of why I
thought to bring this title to your attention.
Be well,
Arthur
--

He encounters many different peoples and places, including the center of the
world, Jerusalem.
Arthur Kiron, Ph.D.
Schottenstein-Jesselson Curator of Judaica Collections
University of Pennsylvania Libraries
3420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
Tel: (215) 573-7431
Fax: (215) 898-0559
Web:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.library.upenn.edu/collections/judaica/__;!!KGKeukY!29hdOsopb3gGasFLLBuObgZFKwrBtQlo43q6dOfEVXtP7um2zgBItSdSV1zfwP9NCXwPqjum--sVkLor1G4hKXx_aicl1qjxiA$

Wednesdays and Fridays at:

Library at the Hebert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies
420 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Tel: (215) 746-1290
Web: