Dear ha-Safran readers,

I was approached by someone who is looking for a Herta Weil, who may have been
the one mentioned in this excerpt from Marcia Posner’s article in Judaica
Librarianship 7 (1–2), ”Jewish Children’s Literature Around the World: A
Survey”
(https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.14263/7/1993/605__;!!KGKeukY!yMzW5DrDJ_mzKsYeh826p_D5DQtXUHQH0FVa2uK4UzCRDnlKykGEHkCha9hLR_-vBTkAuES94p9Q39Cdg14kSP233pR4IKc$
 ):

Austria has a Jewish population of 12,000, out of a total population of
7,552,000. An issue of Aufbau (January 6, 1989), contained an article
(thoughtfully translated by a library volunteer, Mrs. Herta Weil) about a new
Judaica Bookstore, "Buchhandlung Chaj," in Vienna's 2nd District, the
Leopoldstadt, at Lessingstrasse 5, next to the Jewish Gymnasium. It was
established by Friedericke Stern-Heller, a trained bookseller since 1949, who
was frequently asked by friends and acquaintances to provide them with Jewish
literature. The bookstore's collection includes picture-books and literature
for young people. All the books are by Jewish authors with "direct connection
to Jewry and the State of Israel" (Judische, 1989). Correspondence with Mr. and
Mrs. Ernest M. Stern resulted in a list of more than forty-two titles of
children's books carried by their store, many originally written in German, the
rest translated. All but two were published by Austrian publishers, including
Zeit fur die Hora (Time for the Hora; Arena, 1989), by Ingeborg Bayer, who is
not Jewish, which was awarded the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis (German
Children's Literature Prize) 1989 and was also an IBBY Honor Book. Mr. Stern
wrote that he still discovers small publishers who produce Jewish literature,
and he provided me with other contacts in Switzerland and Germany. (pp. 11–12)

If anyone knows anything about Herta Weil, please contact me off list.

Thank you,
Rachel

Rachel Leket-Mor, Librarian
Curator, Open Stack Collections, IsraPulp Collection
Affiliate, Center for Jewish Studies, Center for Maghrib Studies
Arizona State University Library

Editor, Judaica Librarianship (2012–Present)
Association of Jewish Libraries
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ajlpublishing.org__;!!KGKeukY!yMzW5DrDJ_mzKsYeh826p_D5DQtXUHQH0FVa2uK4UzCRDnlKykGEHkCha9hLR_-vBTkAuES94p9Q39Cdg14kSP23QJMxVjw$

I acknowledge that Arizona State University is built upon the traditional
homelands of the Akimel O'odham and Pee-Posh peoples.

http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html
Earlier Listserver:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html