Dear Friends,

First let me begin by saying that we are all praying for the safe release of
the three innocent Jewish boys recently kidnapped in Israel.

Second as is our custom I am posting a Jerusalem Books ltd newsletter in
advance of the upcoming AJL in Las Vegas.  Usually a selection of newly
published titles in Hebrew from Israel are discussed.

On this occasion, I would like to mention a new important work by a
distinguished scholar, educator, professor and author, Joseph 'Yossi'
Turner.

Professor Turner,  who researches and teaches Jewish  Philosophy at the
Schechter Institute in Jerusalem has witten a book, 'Ha-Yahas le-Tsion
u-le-tefutsot be-mahshava ha-yehudit shel ha-me'ah ha-20,' 'the Relation to
Zion and the Diaspora in 20'th Century Jewish Thought.' The 357 page Hebrew
work is scholarly and published by ha-Kibbutz ha-Me'uhad.

He book is a major work analyzing the significance and role of Israel
inJewish Thought of the  20th Century CE.  The book divides it analysis
between the early 20th Century Jewish figures, thinkers, philosophers, those
pre WWII and the figures and scholars from the founding of Isreal to the
present.

First, the writings and teachings of Theodore Herzl and Ahad Ha'am are
examined and compared.  Then Dubnow and Herman Cohen are discussed. The
latter portions of the work are dedicated to Mordechai Kaplan, Eliezer
Schweid and finally current modern scholars Daniel Boyarin, David Meyers and
Shaul Maggid are studied and contrasted.

The book deals with Zionist thinking, values and goals and non-Zionists like
herman Cohen are also analyzed. The book approaches this modern current
issue from the standpoint of what is Judaism, the Jewish people and how
these differing streams of thought deal with and determine the future
existence of the Jewish people.

This is undoubtedly a significant contribution to scholarship on these
subjects and is also very important as it takes up the study of Jewish
Thought and Philosophy in the modern era. As many have heard me say, Jewish
Thought and history do not stop in 18th or 19th Century as some have seemed
to think. Preferring to examine and study only, "classical Jewish Studies."

This book is and will undoubtedly be a catalyst for an ongoing dialogue
about what is Jewish Thought and Jewish existence in the 20th and 21st
Century CE.

I certainly recommend this book for any library of Jewish Studies. In the
name of full disclosure I am proud to say that Shaul Maggid and especially
Joseph Turner are good personal friends and that I was privileged to be
involved in frequent discussions with Yossi during the writing of this work.
Cat.   # 83872         $   28

I look forward to seeing all of you at the AJL in Las Vegas, discussing this
work, Zionist Philosophy, life in Israel, Europe and the US and developments
in Israel and at Jerusalem Books.

Sending you best wishes from myself, Ayelet and the staff at Jerusalem Books
and thanks for all your interest and support,

Sincerely,

Jeff Spitzer

Jerusalem Books Ltd.

__