I was very fortunate to work with Murray as a library assistant at Hebrew
College, before I went to library school.    Murray was the kind of
supervisor and mentor everyone should have:   He was kind, patient, and
funny as well as highly intelligent,  and knowledgeable re: the Judaica
Library world, and beyond.

After becoming a librarian, it was my privilege to be colleagues with
Murray in the New England Chapter of AJL, which he initiated.

Zichrono livracha - May his memory be a blessing.

Ann Abrams

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 1:59 PM Zachary M Baker via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Long-time AJL members will recall with fondness Dr. Maurice (aka Murray)
> Tuchman, who has just passed away. Murray was active in AJL; after he
> retired from his position at Hebrew College (Boston) he became a
> professional appraiser of Judaica books and manuscripts. Professor Jonathan
> Sarna, of Brandeis University, has posted the following obituary in
> H-JUDAIC:
>
> H-Judaic is saddened to learn of the passing January 1 of Dr. Murray
> Tuchman (1936-2022), who for thirty-six years served as Director of the
> Library, at the Boston Hebrew College.  Born in Brooklyn, Dr. Tuchman
> graduated from Brooklyn College and earned his Doctorate in Information and
> Library Science from Simmons.  During his tenure, he worked to build the
> Hebrew College library on Hawes Street into one of the best Jewish
> community libraries in the United States.  Generations of Hebrew College
> students, faculty and alumni, along with others in the Boston area,
>  benefited from his quiet, calm demeanor, helpfulness, and learning.
> Following his retirement, Dr. Tuchman volunteered for the Boston Literacy
> Coalition.  His family reports that he enjoyed "a long and full life that
> included world travels, satisfying work, interesting hobbies and the love
> and company of family and friends."  For a full obituary, see
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mdislander.com/obituary/murray-tuchman__;!!KGKeukY!kulqcar3ZPBql3gD7Hp7oci1VbslZQTchgbKx1NgE0yATubk6nQDbk4t2JYoIJUYoDQ$
>
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mdislander.com/obituary/murray-tuchman__;!!KGKeukY!kuENeQ_TFIyHnEDllFxC088XQQSg2sDO-vNSiHUD91Q09CZyHQUDkReJZZayd7odB3I21t1sRchW$>
> .
>
> We extend deepest condolences to Helene Tuchman and the entire Tuchman
> family, as well as to his Hebrew College colleagues, alumni, and to all
> those who benefited from the library that he did so much to build.
>
> Jonathan D. Sarna
>

> Zachary
>
> Zachary M.  Baker
> zba...@stanford.edu
> zekhar...@gmail.com
>

> __
> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)
> Ha-Safran Archives:
> Current:
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!kulqcar3ZPBql3gD7Hp7oci1VbslZQTchgbKx1NgE0yATubk6nQDbk4t2JYoOvhohIc$
>
> Earlier Listserver:
>
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!kulqcar3ZPBql3gD7Hp7oci1VbslZQTchgbKx1NgE0yATubk6nQDbk4t2JYoVih4-cg$
>
> AJL HomePage
> [...]

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Dr. Arnold L. Segel Library Center
TILLI (Temple Israel Lifelong Learning Institute) Coordinator
Temple Israel
477 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02215

Pronouns: she/her/hers

617-566-3960 x116
Check out our library catalog
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://library.tisrael.org__;!!KGKeukY!kulqcar3ZPBql3gD7Hp7oci1VbslZQTchgbKx1NgE0yATubk6nQDbk4t2JYoXU6RaK0$

Participate in Temple Israel life virtually.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tisrael.org/togetherwithti__;!!KGKeukY!kulqcar3ZPBql3gD7Hp7oci1VbslZQTchgbKx1NgE0yATubk6nQDbk4t2JYoyJTRNPo$

Do you need help?  View our COVID-19 resources.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tisrael.org/covid19-resources/__;!!KGKeukY!kulqcar3ZPBql3gD7Hp7oci1VbslZQTchgbKx1NgE0yATubk6nQDbk4t2JYoeqdoH4c$

__
Ha-Safran Archives:
Current: